I have been munching on basil as a favorite culinary herb and have to say I am a culprit of dismissing it for homemade beauty care products. However, little did I know that basil is absolutely fabulous for skin care.
With it’s antiseptic properties and anti-aging elements, basil not only remedies acne-prone skin but also fights fine lines and brightens the skin. Basil is know as a “detoxifier” and stimulates circulation. It gently cleans the skin and gets rid of pore-clogging dirt, leaving your skin soft and radiant!
This simple DIY Basil Facial Toner is not only ridiculously easy to make, but you get to reap the benefits of the basil and witch hazel. Witch hazel has acne fighting properties but it also tightens the skin and pores and locks in moisture.
See the steps below with pictures but for an easy to print version of this recipe, see the bottom of the post!
1. Measure about a quarter of a cup of basil leaves and place in the mortar.
2. Using the pestle, gently bruise the leaves to expose the juices.
3. Once finished, place leaves into the Pyrex cup.
4. Pour the boiling water over the basil leaves and steep for at least an hour or until cool.
5. Once water has cooled, use a fork or slotted spoon to remove the leaves.
6. Add the witch hazel and stir.
7. Use the funnel to add the liquid mix into the spray bottles.
This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Voilà, now you have your DIY Basil Facial Toner! To apply, you can moisten a cotton ball with the facial toner or spray directly to the face for a refreshing lift. Make sure to moisturize after use.